Direkt zum Hauptbereich

Exchange 2010 with Outlook 2003 issues

Here are a couple of interesting things to be aware of when implementing Exchange 2010 with Outlook 2003 clients. Note that the issues described here do not occur with Outlook 2007 or 2010.

Service Pack:

Make sure Outlook 2003 has Office 2003 Service Pack 3 applied. If you don’t it will not work.

Enable Encyption:

Encryption must be enabled in the Outlook profile.

Under the Outlook Profile, choose “more settings” and then choose the Security tab. Make sure “Enable encryption between Outlook and the Exchange Server” is ticked.

Outlook 2003 in Online Mode

An issue exists where Outlook 2003 clients are slow when configured in Online mode. Users will notice things like moving items between folders and deleting items are slow (the item doesn’t move immediately). Cached mode resolves this issue or alternatively you can follow these steps. Note that this fix does not completely resolve the issue, but it does improve performance of Outlook 2003 online mode a lot.

On the server with the Client Access Role

  • Install Exchange 2010 Update Rollup 1 and restart the server.
  • Now make the following registry change.
  • HKLM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeRPC\ParametersSystem
  • Create a DWORD called ”Maximum Polling Frequency” (without quotes)
  • Make the value 10000

Note that this change is dynamic and clients will need to close and open Outlook again for the change to take affect.

Another things you can do to reduce the user impact include:

  • turning off the preview pane.
  • advising users to open the message and delete the open message, rather than deleting from the Inbox.

Send/Receive errors

I haven’t found a full solution to this problem, but it appears that users with cached mode on Outlook 2003 can get corruption in OST file or Outlook profile. To resolve this issue I have tried to deleting to OST file and creating a new Outlook profile. This works about 75% of the time.

An interesting side-effect of this issue is the Offline Address Book doesn’t download updates. I’ll post more details once I have the answer!

Microsoft Support Article

Kommentare

Beliebte Posts aus diesem Blog

Microsoft Office 2013 aktivieren via Kommandozeile

Wie man das neue Microsoft Office 2013 aktiviert via Kommandozeile, das werde ich euch in dem folgenden Beitrag Schritt für Schritt erklären. Gerade in grösseren Systemumgebungen in welchen die Clients und Standard Software automatisiert installiert werden, kann das sehr hilfreich sein und erspart einem viel Arbeit nach der Installation des Clients. Das Ziel sollte sein, möglichst viel zu automatisieren und soweit möglich, wenig noch händisch zu konfigurieren. Da kommt dieser Beitrag sicherlich nicht ungelegen. Die folgenden Befehle könnte man beispielsweise ganz einfach in eine MDT (Microsoft Development Toolkit) Umgebung mit einbeziehen oder auch mit anderer Software benutzen. Wichtig zu wissen ist, dass dies nur dann funktioniert, wenn Microsoft Office 2013 über das Internet aktiviert wird. Hat man einen eigenständigen Aktivierungsserver (KMS), funktioniert dies nicht. Zudem müssen die Befehle alle mit Administrator Rechte ausgeführt werden. Normale Benutzerberechtigungen genügen …

Windows Domain Controller: Es sind momentan keine Anmeldeserver zum Verarbeiten der Anmeldeanforderung verfügbar

Zurzeit häuft sich (warum auch immer) das Problem dass nach einem Neustart eines Windows Domain Controllers bei der Anmeldung die Fehlermeldung „Es sind momentan keine Anmeldeserver zum Verarbeiten der Anmeldeanforderung verfügbar“ kommt und eine Anmeldung so nicht möglich ist Das Problem ist hierbei das der Domain Controller im Active Directory Reperatur Modus (Abgesicherter Modus) startet. Am einfachsten lässt sich dieses Problem folgendermaßen beheben: 1) Anmeldung mit dem DSRM (Directory Services Restore Mode) / Verzeichnisdienstwiederherstellungskennwort Falls die Anmeldung nicht funktioniert kann man einen Workaround wie hier beschrieben durchführen. 2) Systemkonfiguration mittels msconfig.exe aufrufen

WSUS won’t uninstall or re-install

Hat heute ein Problem mit WSUS unter Windows Server 2008 R2 bei einem Kunden. Das Problem - die Clients konnten keinen Verbindung zum WSUS Server herstellen. Die Deinstallation wurde unerwartet beenden mit folgender Fehlermeldung: Attempt to un-install Windows Server Update Services failed with error code 0x80070643. Fatal error during installation  Die Lösung: I don’t like Windows Server Update Services (WSUS), but it’s the free alternative many companies select over the higher cost alternatives like Intune or Systems Center. So, today I had to repair a damaged WSUS installation. Turns out someone uninstalled SQL Server 2005 Express not realizing WSUS was using it. Now firing up the WSUS console just yielded an error complaining about the missing SQL database. So like any good troubleshootin IT guy the first thing I tried was to uninstall WSUS…sadly, however the product would not uninstall or re-install. Here’s how I finally got rid of it: [the problem] WSUS 3.0 SP2 is missing SQL serv…